donatebtn  contactbtn


The latest news about Harriet
2 minutes reading time (452 words)

Harriet is rushed to Hospital in the early hours of the morning


Harriet had been experiencing episodes of erratic breathing during the day and had to be given a special ventolin nebulizer, to open up her airways and help stabilize her breathing. The nebulizers only seemed to give Harriet relief from her symptoms for short periods of time and her respiratory condition seemed to be getting worse as the day progressed.

In the early hours of last Tuesday morning, Harriet was rushed to the Derby Royal hospital in respiratory distress, her condition had become dangerous and she was now fighting for her life.

The hospital’s emergency team were on hand very quickly and spent several hours getting Harriet`s breathing stabilized, before she was transferred onto the dolphin intensive care unit.

Harriet was still in respiratory distress all day Tuesday, but then showed some signs of improvement and was released from the ward Wednesday night.

It was great to have Harriet back at home, but her breathing was still not back to its normal rate and the next few days proved to be very stressful, as Harriet needed regular suction from her tracheostomy and mouth.

As the week continued Harriet was still struggling and we were very concerned that it was taking Harriet such a long time to get back to her usual self. The hospital had told us that Harriet was suffering from some form of cold virus, but there was nothing more they could do for her, Harriet`s own immune system would need to fight this virus.

Sunday was mother’s day, we had planned to try and go out somewhere as a family, but knew Harriet would not cope with any sudden change in temperature and were also concerned that she was still not right within herself.

Lesley took an aspirate from Harriet`s nasal gastric tube and straight away realised something was seriously wrong, as the syringe filled up with blood. We immediately phoned accident and emergency and were advised to take the nasal gastric tube out of Harriet`s nose and bring her straight down to the hospital.

The hospital doctors spent the next two hours checking Harriet`s stats and possible causes of the Blood from the nasal gastric tube and came to the conclusion that the tube had moved in Harriet`s stomach, which could have caused the trauma.

A new nasal gastric tube was then inserted through Harriet`s nose, down into her stomach and then checked to make sure it gave a correct aspirate reading, before Harriet was able to have her medicine`s and feed.

The doctors told us that the blood should start to calm down within the next two or three days, but if it did continue, then we would need to bring Harriet back to the hospital.

Mum and Dad

Harriet returns to the QMC to see the Respiratory ...
Harriet`s Botulinum Injection